Careers at SJND
We pride ourselves on educating future leaders in an environment that is both supportive and challenging. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage diverse candidates to join our community.
- Teachers (Open Call for All Positions)
- Director of Finance and Planning
- Personal/Academic Counselor
- Academic Coach
- Communications Manager
We’re Looking for Innovative and Progressive Teachers to Join Us!
Nestled in a picturesque neighbourhood residential community in Alameda, and minutes away from downtown Oakland, Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School (SJND), a Catholic parish high school, provides a dynamic and rigorous college preparatory education. Our faith-filled, diverse, and welcoming community embraces the teachings of Jesus Christ. We develop confident, open-minded, and effective leaders who are ready to live joyful lives of faith, scholarship, and service.
Eight Essential Characteristics of a Teacher at SJND
Teachers at SJND …
support the values of a Catholic education and the school mission while also respecting religious plurality and cultural diversity;
love working with young people, are relational and student-centered, and are committed to the success of their whole person;
take creative initiative, are self-directed, and are solutions oriented;
engage in colleague collaboration in a spirit of authentic communication;
are coachable and receive constructive feedback in a spirit of maintaining a growth mindset;
are reflective in their practice, are able to pivot and adapt, and are comfortable with change and transition;
are lifelong learners who engage with current educational research and practice;
are proponents of or aspire toward 21st Century Learning Practices that include: Standards Based Learning, Culturally Responsive Learning, Restorative Justice, Universal Design, and Trauma Informed approaches, all through a lens of Equity and Justice.
We have a year round open call for teachers in all subjects including English, Languages Other Than English, Visual and Performing Arts, Sciences, Social Studies, Mathematics, Theology, Physical Education, and Multi-Disciplinary areas.
Prior teaching experience working with young people is preferred;
California Teaching Credential (or a commitment to obtain one within three years of hire) is preferred;
Bachelor’s Degree in the selected discipline (or closely related field) is required;
Master’s Degree in Education or related field is preferred;
Standard health and background checks including Department of Justice fingerprinting is required.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and attained education and credentials. The school offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes a pension and retirement program, and full medical, visual, and dental plans.
The Application Process
Please, submit via email [firstname.lastname@example.org] to Chris Trinidad, dean of academics + interim vice principal, a single PDF document containing:
A cover letter addressing each of the following items ...
How your own values and passions connect with our school mission;
How your educational practices align with any of our Eight Essential Characteristics of a Teacher at SJND;
How you hope to grow as an educator if hired at SJND.
Your resume or CV.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis and we will review them in the order in which they are received. You will be contacted if you are selected to participate in our interview process. Otherwise, if there are no current openings, your materials will be kept on file. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage diverse candidates to join our community.
Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School (SJND) is a co-educational, Catholic parish high
school located in the heart of residential Alameda, just minutes from downtown Oakland.
SJND offers academic excellence and moral development to its diverse and talented 400+
students. The 70 staff members are dedicated to the development of confident,
open-minded, generous leaders who are ready to live joyful lives of faith, scholarship, and
The Director of Finance and Planning (DFP) provides professional leadership and
assistance to the Principal and the Board of Trustees in the stewardship of SJND’s
financial resources, with the goal to achieve the fullest attainment of the school's Catholic
mission. The DFP is responsible for leading the school in anticipating financial needs and
outcomes, coordinating strategic planning and goal-setting, maintaining accounting, and
overseeing ongoing financial control. The DFP also oversees the operation of the Business
and Facilities Departments. The DFP reports directly to the Principal.
● Take the lead in the Business Office for planning and financial execution.
● Establish and develop best-in-class forecasting and reporting processes.
● Understand and highlight key performance indicators and drivers of change within
SJND’s financial results, as well as clearly present these results to the principal
and key leadership team members to inform strategic decision-making.
● Be a thought leader and partner cross-functionally to drive operational efficiencies
and strategic initiatives while scaling the institution.
● Build analytical and reporting tools to measure financial results, key operational
metrics, and efficiency of spending.
● Partner with leadership team members and key stakeholders across the
organization to provide strategic financial insights and recommendations.
● Lead and mentor teams (business office, facilities team) by providing financial
leadership and analytics.
● Maintain and improve predictability of financial results through enhancements of
internal processes and partnership across the organization.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in related field required; CPA or advanced degree in
finance, accounting or non-profit management strongly preferred; experience
managing a human resource function or direct experience with human
resource function highly preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of finance/accounting experience with a minimum of 3 years in a management capacity and experience with GAAP, GAAS and
non-profit financial accounting.
• Proven track record of achieving results in a corporate or non-profit
environment with demonstrated success building systems and tools to
support an organization.
• Significant organization management skills including team-building and staff
supervision and development, as well as the ability to collaborate and
communicate transparently with colleagues, senior management and Board
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to engage
and inspire a wide range of audiences.
• High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness with a
strong work ethic and the ability to work independently.
• Supports the values of Catholic school education and the SJND mission.
This is a full-time exempt position with benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to
email@example.com with “Director of Finance and Planning” in the subject line. We are an equal
opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage diverse candidates to join our community.
Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School is a co-educational, Catholic parish high school located in the heart of residential Alameda, just minutes from downtown Oakland. SJND offers academic excellence and moral development to its diverse and talented 440 students. The 65 staff members are dedicated to the development of confident, open-minded, effective leaders who are ready to live joyful lives of faith, scholarship and service. The school educates future leaders in a supportive and challenging environment.
We are currently seeking a full-time Personal + Academic Counselor to complete the 2021 - 2022 Academic Year. This person is responsible for serving the personal and academic needs of a designated percentage of the student population.
The position begins in November 2021 and concludes in June of 2022.
The candidate will be responsible for collaborating with the other members of the Counseling Department and the Administration Team. Candidates must be committed to supporting Roman Catholic Church teaching and values in all of their professional relationships and duties.
While we prefer candidates who have a Master’s degree in School Counseling and/or a PPS credential as well as experience providing student counseling in a high school setting, we are open to candidates who are currently in degree or credentialing programs for which they require completion of internship hours. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and professional training according to the school's established salary schedule for teachers and counselors.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references by email to Chris Trinidad, Interim Vice Principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Find out more about our school at www.sjnd.org. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage diverse candidates to join our community.
JOB TITLE: Personal/Academic Counselor
DATE: November 2021 - June 2022
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Counseling
PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Personal/Academic Counselor is a full-time temporary position that reports to the Director of Counseling. The Personal/Academic Counselor is responsible for serving the personal and academic counseling needs of a designated percentage of the student population.
Responsibilities and requirements include, but are not limited to, the following.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (essential functions):
1. Personal and academic counseling support for 9th-12th grade student caseload, including keeping professional written records of significant student information as learned through counseling sessions;
2. Provide support for the Counselors in the Classroom program for Social-Emotional Learning
3. Provide referrals to families seeking outside medical and/or mental health support for students. Act as the primary contact within the school for those professionals regarding assigned students;
4. Provide support and resources to Faculty/Staff regarding assigned students of concern;
5. Crisis intervention and conflict resolution (as directed by Administration or Director of Counseling);
6. Regularly review academic progress for assigned students who are in need of academic support;
7. Assist assigned students with course scheduling and academic planning for all four years;
8. Assist the College Counselor with assigned students on their post-graduation plans;
9. In coordination with counseling team members, refer students to the Mental Health Counselor;
10. Other responsibilities needed or assigned by School Administration
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY:
1. Required: Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s degree in Counseling-in-progress;
2. Preferred: Master’s degree in Counseling or Psychology, and/or PPS Credential;
3. Preferred: Previous school counseling experience, preferably with high school students;
4. Previous experience in coordinating curriculum for social emotional learning;
5. Knowledge of high school curriculum standards and college-admission requirements;
6. Knowledge of medical conditions, both physical and psychological, that affect adolescents;
7. Background in crisis intervention and conflict resolution, either clinical or professional;
8. Excellent written/oral communication, public speaking, and group facilitation skills;
9. Exceptional problem-solving, analytic, and administrative skills;
10. Ability to use technology and data-based computer applications to process student data and produce professional-grade documents;
11. Ability and willingness to work occasional evening and weekend events;
12. Ability to lift 30lbs unassisted.
Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School is a co-educational, Catholic parish high school located in the heart of residential Alameda, just minutes from downtown Oakland. SJND offers academic excellence and moral development to its diverse and talented 450 students. The 65 staff members are dedicated to the development of confident, open-minded, effective leaders who are ready to live joyful lives of faith, scholarship and service. The school educates future leaders in a supportive and challenging environment.
We are currently seeking to hire Academic Coaches for our on-campus Academic Support cohort at SJND. The primary responsibility of Academic Coaches is to supervise and maintain a safe academic environment for students who will attend classes virtually while being monitored in a classroom.
Prospective Academic Coaches have a desire to work with students who struggle academically and are in need of additional support. Major responsibilities include content tutoring, monitoring student progress, supervising students during school hours, communicating student progress with the Counseling
Department, and mentoring students to be academically successful at SJND.
Major responsibilities include content tutoring, monitoring student progress, supervising students during Pilot Prep hours (Monday-Thursday 3:00-4:30), communicating student progress with the Learning Support Coordinator, and mentoring students to be academically successful at SJND.
Please, send application to email@example.com, attn: Chris Trinidad, Dean of Academics and Interim Vice Principal
Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School is a co-educational, college preparatory, Catholic high school located in the heart of residential Alameda, just minutes from downtown Oakland. SJND offers academic excellence and moral development to its diverse and talented 400+ students.
The Communications Manager at Saint Joseph Notre Dame Catholic High School (SJND) is a visionary and strategic leader responsible for the development and execution of a dynamic communications and marketing plan that advances the school’s mission.
Develop a comprehensive communications and content marketing strategy and plan that advances the school’s mission, vision, and initiatives.
Conceptualize and produce compelling visual storytelling, to be used on multiple digital platforms, to enhance and differentiate the SJND story.
Oversee SJND’s Social Media Manager and Marketing Associate.
Collaborate with key departments and stakeholders to ensure marketing and communications projects are executed efficiently and meet stated goals.
Understand key audiences (e.g., parents, prospective families, faculty and staff, alumni, benefactors, etc.) and develop specific content for those audiences.
Manage data collection and analytics and evaluate tactics in support of communications plans and goals.
Understand crisis communications protocols and execute or provide support as needed.
Manage all media opportunities, including print, online, TV, and radio.
Manage the department budget and implement a system for tracking expenses.
Oversee digital and social media content for established school-wide channels and partner with content generators for specialized outlets such as admissions, athletics and advancement relations.
Define style and brand guidelines and review major school communications prior to distribution.
Skills & Qualifications:
Supports the values of Catholic school education and the SJND mission.
Excellent writer/editor with a passion and understanding for storytelling across formats and channels.
Collaborative, energetic, creative, personality able to connect authentically with student and adult audiences.
Proactive, independent, and resourceful.
Excellent project management skills, including the ability to initiate, anticipate and follow through on multiple projects with firm deadlines.
Strong knowledge of digital media, print, photography/videography and website management.
Experience with desktop publishing software and basic graphic design.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5-7 years experience in a comparable role.
Willing to participate in occasional evening and weekend events.
This is a full-time position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The benefits package is excellent and includes professional development opportunities.
This is a full-time exempt position with benefits. Please send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with Communications Manager in the subject line. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage diverse candidates to join our community.