Diversity Inclusion and Equity Update
One of our goals this year is to take a deep look into how our school handles issues of racism and discrimination and continue to improve as a community. I wanted to share with you an update on the important work we have been doing to make sure our school is an inclusive, welcoming and safe environment for all members.
Over the summer I have personally spoken with students, parents and connected with alumni to discuss issues like racism, discrimination and prejudice and how we can combat these problems head on as a community. We have partnered with the National Equity Project (based in Oakland) to help us improve as leaders and educators. Our Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee (DEI) will be setting up listening sessions where students will be given an opportunity to speak to faculty, staff, and admin in an open and accepting environment. We are working in conjunction with the National Equity Project to hopefully lead parent sessions as well.
The Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee consists of two parts, one for Faculty/Staff and one student led committee that works closely with the Faculty and Staff committee.
Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee Schoolwide Norms
As members of the SJND community, we uphold the following norms of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- I will strive to create a safe, welcoming, and respectful school community.
- I will strive to reduce tolerance of hateful, harmful, or stereotyping language.
- I will strive to recognize that our experiences, values, and perspectives are unique to us as individuals.
- I will strive to learn about experiences other than my own and seek permission to ask questions about other peoples’ experiences.
- I will strive to embrace compassionate conflict and vulnerability as part of growth and acceptance.
- I will strive to meet every person where they are.
- I will strive to honor confidentiality agreements.
- I will strive to ensure our intention matches our impact
- I will strive to acknowledge, appreciate, and celebrate progress.
Starting this week our staff will undergo Faculty/Staff Training about microaggressions and privilege. We will also be looking at our curriculum to see where we can improve and include more educational opportunities to address these topics in the classroom.
We will also be hosting Quarterly Town Halls- a large scale forum for students, led by the student DEI committee with a moderator that specializes in equity.
What to do if you have been the victim of discriminatory behavior by a student or faculty/staff member
If you feel comfortable, directly confront the person doing the behavior. Inform them that they are being offensive and must stop. If you do not feel comfortable approaching them, immediately speak with a trusted adult on campus, a counselor, the Dean of Students or myself. We have a complaint filing and investigative procedure we will follow to make sure you are protected and any follow up action is taken, if necessary.
As always, I am here for anyone who feels they have been marginalized, discriminated against or harassed in any way. Please come to me or Chris Crisolo, Assistant Principal of Student Life/Dean of Students as we are both committed to making SJND a place where you are supported, nurtured and heard.
-Principal Julianne Guevara