A Message from Principal Jennings Regarding the California Wildfires
Dear SJND Community,
As you may have heard, several SJND faculty and staff members’ families have been affected by the terrible fires that have destroyed the town of Paradise and the surrounding towns in Butte County. Mr. Mike Kamplain, teacher of Theology, shared with us that his daughter’s home was completely destroyed in the fire. Ms. Laura Diaz, teacher of Science, told us that her Mom’s house was also destroyed. Additionally, our Advancement Office has reported that 14 SJND alumni list Paradise as their home, which most likely means that their homes were destroyed in the fire. We also know of four alumni and some relatives of faculty/staff who live near the fires ravaging Southern California.
SJND prides itself in being a family modeled after the Holy Family of Nazareth. Unlike Jesus’ family who could not find a home in their distress, SJND wishes to reach out and be Family to our Family.
In speaking with our families who have been affected by these tragic fires, they are in need of gift cards and cash – not clothing or other materials like blankets.
Starting on Wednesday, November 14 and continuing until Friday, November 16, SJND will take donations of cash, check or gift cards to help the faculty and staff families in need. Please make your checks out to Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School. Cash and gift cards may be brought to either Michele McCampbell or Liz Rochlin in the Main Office.
Below I’ve provided additional resources to support the fire victims compiled by the Diocese of Sacramento and Diocese of Oakland. Thank you in advance for your generosity and support.
If you wish to donate money to support wildfire victims in Northern California, The Diocese of Sacramento recommends the following resources:
- Donate by mail: Send checks to Diocese of Sacramento Fire Assistance Fund, 2110 Broadway, Sacramento, CA 95818
- Donate by phone: Call The Catholic Foundation at (916) 733-0266
- Donate online: Visit www.scd.org/donate and choose the Fire Assistance Fund
Additional Ways to Donate
- The North Valley Community Foundation has two funds: The Camp Fire Evacuation Relief Fund and the Butte County Schools Fire Relief Fund. Donors can make an open gift to the school fund, or designate a specific use, like textbooks or school supplies. Donations are accepted through the foundation's website.
- Monetary donations may also be made to the American Red Cross. Visit www.redcross.org, call 1-800-733-2767 or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- The United Way of Northern California is taking donations for its NorCal Fire Relief Fund through its website and by text: send the message BUTTEFIRE to 91999.