Attend SJND's 5th Annual Dream Flight Tuition Assistance Gala on Saturday, Oct. 26 at the Claremont Country Club. Click here to purchase Early Bird Tickets by 9/30.
Students Study, Explore and Volunteer in Thailand
During the Easter break, a group of SJND students traveled to Thailand to study, explore and volunteer. SJND provides opportunities to do immersion experiences and field studies and in a foreign country each year, alternating between the science and social studies departments. Science Department Chair Ms. Kristina Taylor led this year’s trip with chaperones Ms. Jennifer Stein and Dr. Angelica Bailon.
Highlights from the Thailand trip included:
- Celebrating Songkran, the Thai New Year's festival, with the Thai people. During the three-day water festival, water and clay are placed on the people to renew the spirit. Everyone was drenched!
- Visiting two Catholic orphanages including The Camillian House, an orphanage and school for children with disabilities. The team brought supplies and monetary donations and worked with the students.
- Seeing the Saiyoke Yai Waterfall and floating down the River Khwae.
- Enjoying an authentic Thai dinner with classical dances.
- Visiting the Mae Taeng Valley and Elephant Nature Park. The team got to feed sugar cane to the elephants and put mud on them to help them keep cool. The elephants sprayed water on the students and gave them “hugs” with their trunks.
- Enjoying a local dessert made of crepes, eggs, bananas, Nutella, and condensed milk from a street vendor on the beach. Some students waited an hour to order one!
- Touring the Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha, Summer Palace of King Rama IV, JEATH Museum and World War II Cemetery, Sukhothai Historical Park, Wat Pa Lelai monastery, and so much more.